Sunday, April 15, 2007

Another Reason to hate Minnesota

People here attend Shakespeare productions for all the wrong reasons.
After seeing the Guthrie production, Steve Marsh, an associate editor of Mpls.St.Paul magazine, wrote in his blog that "listening to the wealthy Lutherans in the Guthrie audience cracking up at Jew jokes made me horribly uncomfortable. Angry, even."

Yup. People here see no problem in Germans villifying Jewish people like this.

Now, people who know me know I love Shakespeare. Even though it hasn't gotten me one whit of career advantage, I consider my time studying Shakespeare at Chicago to be among my favorite days. But I think, just as you would not let a second grader read Huck Finn, you shouldn't expose the people in this state to something for which their Cro-Magnon brains have no capacity.

I am the last person to call for censorship. But I think the Guthrie should refuse admission to any Lutheran from Minnesota.

No comments: