Sunday, March 15, 2009

My newest foe: Bob Greene

Apparently, the Elderly Menace has dirt on Bob Greene.

How else to explain the following paragraph?
Now they are feeling it, and there is nothing that we -- their sons and daughters, their grandsons and granddaughters -- can do to convince them that their fear in the night is groundless. What they are being forced to go through now is -- in the most elemental sense of this word -- a shame. I hope they know how sorry we are.


Well, Mr. Greene, I'll apologize when they apologize for making me listen to their rambling pointless stories about turnips, for their gibberish letters to the editors of newspapers that always start with "As a senior citizen...", for their insistence on being knelt down to. And let's not even get into Ronald Reagan.

Until then, I'm too busy trying to restore my own shattered savings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gosh that gags me. I've taken the liberty of tweaking Greene's commentary.

That group consists of the first cohort of the Doomer Generation -- the men and women who practiced duck and cover when they were in grammar school, who enlightened their parents about civil rights and women's equality, who fought (in all senses of the word) and paid for (in all senses of the term) the Vietnam War, who survived stagflation and Ronald Reagan's senility, who chipped in to clean up Superfund sites and put out the flames of the Cuyahoga River, who bailed out the failed savings and loan industry, and who had hoped for a sense of peace and tranquility in their final years on this earth.