Sunday, May 27, 2007

Deliverance

While Frankie enjoys his foray into the cool north, I am curently stuck in the hot, sweaty south. I heard this the other day from a man seated behind me at the Jamestown anniversary celebration:

"Robert E. Lee was a gentleman. Ulysses S. Grant was just an alcoholic." I kid you not. Enough said. I would have booed the president when he took the stage, but it was very clear that the 28% of Americans who still approve of him all live in Virginia. I was definitely outnumbered. I am just waiting to be hunted down in the backwoods by Civil War reenactors and southern colonels. Happy Memorial Day, freedom lovers.

1 comment:

Frankie Machine said...

As I said before,
"Sherman didn't go far enough."
Greetings from Chicago. Frankie's back home. I'm a little angry because I think someone stole the Nelson Algren street sign.