Sunday, June 03, 2007

Absolutely Positively Unemployed!

Inspiring words for right now.
The day after Jeanne Steager died, I went into Mr. Stern's office and quit my job. I was out of there in an hour; I was back home for lunch. It's never too early. Plans are just guesses.
I suppose I am bringing tidings of subversive cheer; I suppose I am suggesting that you consider a change. Quit your job if you hate it. Go on. I know these are hard times, and people fall off the edge, but God is passing out brain tumors too, and you might as well take the plunge. The plunge is all we've got.
When you're young you think that life stretches out indefinitely and you can take this crap for another decade. And the lesson of Jeanne Steager is, No, you bloody well can't. Life is of varying lengths, and actuarial tables are only averages, and sometimes you gotta close your eyes and jump. Even if it's scary; especially if it's scary.

2 comments:

B-Licious said...

Think about the taxes you will save!

Frankie Machine said...

B-licious:
Just because someone can drop out of society, quit one's job, and lay around with dope smokin' hippies writing songs and raisin' hell doesn't mean the taxman won't come a-callin'.
Ask your hero, Willie Nelson.