Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Funny Letter to the Editor

From the New York Times:

Inside the continental United States and Canada, the answer is to go by train whenever possible. Rarely is there ever a weather delay, and the on-time record is superb. I have never lost my luggage by rail.

Peter J. Peirano
Ridgewood, N.J.


When did the NYT start publishing brilliant sarcasm on its letters page? I hope it's sarcasm.

I am way too familiar with our nation's Amtrak stations. From Chicago to Philadelphia to DC to Ann Arbor...I've had train delays due to heat, rain, snow, mudslides. If you don't believe me, ask The Czar, who once sat in the Jackson, Michigan train station until just about dawn waiting for me. I once considered stealing from the concessions stand on one train, because it meant I would be kicked off the train, which sat for two hours outside of Union Station in Chicago.

I cannot vouch for how Amtrak handles luggage, because I wouldn't trust a nickel to those sticky fingered thugs. When I used Amtrak, I kept my bag on my lap the whole time, with my revolver lying on top to discourage any shenanigans.

No comments: