Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Holy 1-A, Batman!

John McCain is going to reinstate the draft.
As Americablog points out, the key exchange in this video is:
AUDIENCE MEMBER: If we don't reenact the draft I don't think we will have anyone to chase Bin Laden to the gates of hell.

JOHN MCCAIN: Ma'am let me say that I don't disagree with anything you said and thank you and I am grateful for your support of all of our veterans.




Old Man Huggies grew up in a military family. In fact, he wanted to go to Princeton, but was basically drafted by his own father into going to the Naval Academy. He thinks military life is something so great we should all share in it. He doesn't appear in public these days without that NAVY baseball cap, to remind everyone he was in the Navy. So it's no wonder he's looking forward to reinstating the draft.

He had no civilian life as a young man, and so like all old men everywhere, wants to take out his regrets on the younger generation. It's kind of pathological. Kind of like when your old grandma wouldn't give you ice cream, because she couldn't afford it as a child, because of the Depression, you know.

God, I can't believe he has a shot at becoming President. If that happens, our elected representatives in Congress will have to negotiate with Grampa McCain. I can see it now:

"President McCain, our constituents need you to sign this bill so that rat poison doesn't receive FDA approval as a baby food ingredient!"

"Screw them! My parents fed me whiskey as a baby and made me do drills at 0500 hours! Why should today's kids get special treatment? Now get offa my lawn!"

Pathology, I tell you.

An alternate explanation is that he drifted off during the audience member's question, and thought agreeing with everything she said was a pretty safe strategy.

Either way, not somebody I want in the White House.

No comments: