Friday, August 22, 2008

This letter to the editor is brought to you thanks to The Czar, Juan Valdez coffee, and the letter "Oh."

I was disappointed with the portion of the letter that the man from Guffin Bay wrote about John McCain and his problem in Vietnam.

I was in a convoy in July 1944, leaving from Wales to what I thought was southern France. In the Mediterranean one night, our ship was struck by another ship. We were running without lights. The order was given: Prepare to abandon ship. We never got the final order to abandon.


Compelling. Absolutely compelling. They should make a movie about this story. Oh, wait. No they shouldn't. Because it would suck. And would make no sense whatsoever.

Our ship was all alone. I was thrown from my bunk and my spine was injured. We limped into North Africa and I was on rest and recreation from July to November 1944. Then I went to the Pacific on a destroyer and served there several months. I was transferred to a hospital ship to be operated on; this was about 14 months after I was hurt and I was in some discomfort and had malaria.


I'll recap that, for my attention-deficit readers:
1. I fell out of bed and hurt by back.
2. I got a five-month vacation.
3. I got malaria.

Man, all he does is complain. Seems to me somebody should have called the "waaaah"-mbulance.

What I am saying is that what some people are proclaiming isn't always correct. We as a nation should be forever grateful for what our servicemen did throughout the 20th century without exception.


"By which I mean, print our crazy rambling letters to the editor. And keep the senior citizens discounts coming, Sonny."

Our country seems to be collapsing from within.


Why so pessimistic? With all due respect, I think we're on the verge of our finest hour. Once we get all the old people out of the way.

Seek the truth — it will set you free.

Clarence Benware

Black River


Have a good weekend, everybody! And always keep track of how many houses you own.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

Thanks for the nudge to get back to your blog. Good times. McCain is one scary man. Keep it comin'.