Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Happy Fourth of July

I except these elderly people from The List.
Several dozen protesters, some using wheelchairs, canes or walkers and many sporting flower-festooned hats, held signs and chanted outside the downtown Armed Forces Recruiting Center. Some drivers waved and honked their horns in support, and the grandmothers replied by cheering and clapping.

A few of the women went inside the recruiting facility to speak with military recruiters and to try to dissuade those who arrived to enlist.

"We're saying, 'I've lived my life. Let me go to Iraq instead of our grandchildren, so they have a chance to live their lives,'" said Jean Haskell, 74, a grandmother of five from Philadelphia.


Grandmothers for Peace.

2 comments:

B-Licious said...

What a bunch of freedom-haters. I'm going to stop paying my social security tax.

Frankie Machine said...

You know who the freedom-haters are in this story?
The recruiters who won't let them enlist.