Thursday, November 16, 2006

David Brooks can still shove it.

"We have entered a time when we can gather in large groups and look down at our mental, social and spiritual inferiors."

To that, I say, "bout frikkin' time!"

I wasn't going to say anything about this dreck, but he went after my man Mencken. And that cannot stand.

"Then, the condescending Menckenites were a small, educated sect, much less popular than the romantics who celebrated the Middle American common man in novels, movies, and fanfares. [Wank wank wank] Popular culture has traveled from "The Grapes of Wrath" to Borat the Magnificent."

A couple of points to my least favorite fellow U of C alum:

1. People burned copies of The Grapes of Wrath. Steinbeck feared for his life after it came out.
2. Mencken's sect of educated people was small because education was much more rare back then. Maybe the fact that there's more educated people these days who laugh at "the booboisie" (How I do love my man Mencken) is a good thing.
3. I come from as common a Middle American family as anybody else you wish to lionize. Gotta tell you, Dave. There's not much there that's fanfare-worthy. I know. Trust me on this one.

Asshole.

No comments: