Monday, November 06, 2006

"I know."

That's what an elderly person said when someone told her she had hit a teenager with her car. That's cold, grandma.

"What Are Old People For?"
Unfortunately, I don't like the answer this book provides. But I do like what a reviewer says:
"Yes, historically some cultures have venerated the aged, but that wasn't necessarily the norm. Yes, some parents today overprogram their children (emphasizing in Thomas pseudo science terminology "DOING-being"), but childhood is a relatively recent luxury, and baring some extremes, it seems to me that parents today are as dedicated and loving as their forebears. This is the perfect book if you want to reminisce about a non-existant idyllic past, and tut tut about how we've lost our way. Otherwise, run. "
Sums it all up, doesn't it?

I blame ALL OF YOU for not telling me about this site earlier.
Old People ARE funny!

No comments: