Sunday, December 17, 2006

An OLD fashioned Christmas story

This is the funniest story I've read this Christmas Season.
"You mean I’m going to have to spend a couple of hours with a bunch of old people who sit around sleeping with their mouths open?”
...
The old man began singing in a wobbly voice, the words of “Hark the herald angels sing”. Slowly, one by one, other feeble voices joined in. Even those who were slumped awkwardly in their wheelchairs mouthed the words. Only Aunt Sue stood up and sang very loudly.

I didn’t realise how many stanzas there were in that hymn. Some of these people couldn’t remember the names of their own children, but they knew every word of the song. For awhile, I forgot about Penny’s party. It was weird


Maybe it's just memories of being taken out of school to sing at old folks' homes
(instead of actually learning)
but this story made my belly hurt.
From laughter.

No comments: