Saturday, March 04, 2006

Having a great weekend?

The elderly run crime syndicates.

" "You continued to commit criminal acts as an elderly, infirm individual," federal Judge Sandra Townes told Cirillo.

Lawrence "Little Larry" Dentico, 82, was sentenced to 51 months. John "Johnny Sausage" Barbato, 71, and Anthony "Tico" Antico, 70, were both given 30 months each. "

Johnny Sausage!

Also, a batshit crazy middle-aged person writes in to your favorite fishwrapper:

Keep ban at Cornerstone

I was very surprised when I read in the Feb. 22 Press that Cornerstone University is considering dropping its stand on certain vices for employees. While I was deciding where I wanted to receive my undergraduate education, I had to decide whether I placed a higher priority on smoking, drinking and gambling or if my education was more important.

Though it is the employees, not the students who this change is being considered for, if the employees are allowed to do this (and the students are not), it will only be time until some students will point out (rightly) this double standard and shout, "Hypocrisy."

If I preferred these vices above my education, I was free to go to any state university and have a good old time. Some years ago, a group of Michigan State students rioted, destroyed and burned property. In response the school decided to tighten up on underage drinking.

An education is more important than mere partying and if one belittles it by (seriously) weighing between it and the "freedom" to engage in these practices, then that person is free to go elsewhere since it seems that education is considered little more than something to do between parties and games. Remember the historical reason that the temperance movement arose (from which came Prohibition) was to combat the rampant alcoholism, domestic violence, abandoning of families and economic poverty partly due to alcohol and gambling addictions.

I find it interesting that Dr. Rex Rogers of the university wants the staff ban on alcohol, tobacco and gambling reviewed since he has authored a book on the vice of gambling. As a proud alumnus of Cornerstone University, I am very disappointed that the school is considering this move.

ROGER L. HERRINGTON
Class of 1987

Cannon Township!

No comments: