Tuesday, January 02, 2007

An Elderly Lament

Note: It helps if you read this out loud in your best "old person voice." And interject "I need my pills" between paragraphs.
Jackson elderly treated 'rudely'
In regard to the letter of Roberta McBride ("Most elders 'rude,' don't deserve help," Nov. 28), I wish to speak as an elderly citizen. I moved to the Jackson metro area eight years ago, and I can honestly say I have never experienced such mean-spirited people as quite of few of those who serve the public in Jackson.

Minneapolis, Grandpa. All I'm saying.

In Jackson, it is rare that I get a "thank you" from a cashier in any kind of public business. I have even started saying, "You are welcome," after the clerk mumbles the amount I owe and takes my money, neglecting to say, "Thank you."

Here's a medal.

I have noticed that your newspaper does not expend much effort in showing your respect for the elderly by neglecting to refer to any elderly citizen by either Mr., Mrs., Ms. or Miss. It is pretty evident that you were not reared in the "Old South."

This "Old South" you speak of could stand another burning by General Sherman, from what I've read in history books.
Cough
Jim Crow
Cough


On rare occasion, I have Sunday lunch in Jackson at one of the favorite places of the late Miss Irene Breland, and I am sure that Miss Breland never was rude to any server. I can also report no server has ever been rude to me there.

Wait. You eat out on Sundays and expect me to pay for your medication? Get outta here. I'd like to be able to eat out on Sunday, but unfortunately I can't afford to because of Social Security payments that go right into YOUR bank account.

Perhaps I expect too much from the people who serve me in public places of Jackson, and perhaps I may be expecting too much from your paper pertaining to your respect for senior citizens.

Over 70 years ago, the American reader was warned of the demise of gallantry, gentility, good manners and respect by a noted author. She wrote: "Look for it only in books, for it is no more than a dream remembered, a civilization gone with the wind."


Are you quoting Margaret Mitchell, author of Gone WIth The Wind? Well, if so, you seem to have skipped over my favorite line of that book:
"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."


Rudeness is one of the main reasons I chose not to retire in Jackson.
And with your boy W in the White House, nobody else will be able to retire period.

Larry J. Bilbro

Clinton

1 comment:

B-Licious said...

I need my pills! I need my pills! Where are my glasses? Where is the key to my Rascal?